Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Runner's Progression

My running years began about 7 years this summer. I can vividly remember running that first mile without walking. I would get up, run around the block, be back in 5 minutes and be done for the day. Granted- I was playing volleyball regularly, so I have always been athletic. BUT, running has always been my passion. I think about those 3 mile runs I would DREAD and now 3 mile runs are a warm up! Today I did 800 mtr repeats. In my senior year of high school, I did 4 of them around 7:30 pace. Today, I did 8 of them, all at sub-7 pace. How does that happen? I like to thnk it is constantly from pushing a little bit farther ever day, whether it is a minute or a mile. We slowly progress to more intensity, longer runs, quicker paces. I love that. I love to imagine what I am going to be able to accomplish in the years to come. I ran high school cross country and everyone always talked about marathons. I was always the first one to announce "I WILL NEVER DO A MARATHON!!!" But, I was the first one to do one a year out of high school. I'm the only one who still runs, and who runs more. If without anything else---I'm proud of myself for that. For pushing a little farther, every day :)

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on all the running success. Like you, i'm better now than I was in high school. HOw does that happen? I think I'm stronger mentally which makes me better physically, but I sure do miss the 17yr old body!
    Keep it up

    ReplyDelete