Friday, April 23, 2010

If you're going to train like a serious athlete, you have to recover like one!

I am one that does NOT like my running/training schedule to falter at all. Last weekend, I went to go visit my best friend Hayley at Notre Dame. I usually do my long runs on the weekend, but I knew I would be driving home on Saturday morning and I like to rest on Sundays. Well, I drudgingly changed my schedule for the week. Granted- I was very excited to visit my friend- but I have a race in two weeks so straying from the schedule isn't an option! SO. I did some easy strength work on Saturday, and mile repeats on Sunday and started this week. AKA I did not have a rest day over the weekend. OUCH I have been feeling it all week! This was supposed to be my hardest week of training and I am going to slowly bring down the intensity for race in 2 weeks. Monday I did a "recovery" run and some strength training, Tuesday I did my spin class and some calisthenics in the afternoon, and Wednesday I did another "easy" 7 miler. My legs were BURRRRNING! So, rather than do my strength work, I hopped in the pool and did 30 minutes of water running. WHAT A DIFFERENCE IT MADE! My legs felt GREAT on Thursday morning and I was able to get up and get in a super intense 60 minute cycle. My mantra of the week...If you're going to train like a serious athlete, you have to recover like one too! So, yesterday I sat in an ice-bath for 15 minutes and was able to squeeze in 50 minutes of strength work too. My legs felt SO much better today. I did a light hill workout this morning and am going to do my long run tomorrow. AND I WILL be sitting in an ice-bath later today too! It makes a HUGE difference! So- the lesson of today is to that you are NOT SUPERMAN and you NEED TO RECOVER. Recover doesn't have to mean laying on the couch for 12 hours straight, but your muscles need to rebuild, and if you want to do it QUICKLY, you have to do it in a pool or in a bath. I read a magazine while I was in the bath and the 15 minutes went by super quick.

Is it sad that I am happiest when my training schedule is on point and goes well? Is it sad that I was even the slightest bit annoyed when I had to change up my schedule to visit a friend? Is that obsessive or just dedication? I'm not exactly sure but I did change it which makes me know that I am at least a little bit normal :)

No comments:

Post a Comment